PITTSBURGH (AP) - James Conner ran for 85 yards and two scores and Pittsburgh ended a three-game losing streak with a 21-16 ...
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Sammie Hill blocked a field goal attempt in the final seconds, and the Tennessee Titans held off the ...
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) - Kevin Harvick earned an automatic berth into the third round of NASCAR's championship race by winning Saturday night ...
- Pitt ends skid, tops Virginia Tech 21-16 October 17, 2014 PITTSBURGH (AP) – James Conner ran for 85 yards and two scores and Pittsburgh ended a three-game losing streak with a 21-16 victory over Virginia Tech on Thursday night. Quarterback Chad Voytik added a career-high 118 yards on the ground and hit Tyler Boyd for a 53-yard touchdown pass as the Panthers (4-3, 2-1 ACC) took control early and held off a late rally by the Hokies. Virginia Tech (4-3, 1-2) trailed by 12 in the fourth quarter but had the ball and a chance to take the lead in the final minutes. Michael Brewer’s fourth-down pass to Cam Phillips sailed high ... Read more
- Titans snap skid, beat winless Jaguars 16-14 October 13, 2014 NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Sammie Hill blocked a field goal attempt in the final seconds, and the Tennessee Titans held off the winless Jacksonville Jaguars 16-14 Sunday to snap a four-game losing streak. Jackie Battle ran for a touchdown, and Ryan Succop also kicked three field goals as the Titans (2-4) bounced back after blowing the biggest lead ever by a home team in the regular season with their loss to Cleveland. Jurrell Casey had two of Tennessee’s six sacks. The Titans forced two turnovers as they won their first game at home this season – only their second here in nine ... Read more
- Harvick moves into 3rd round with win at Charlotte October 13, 2014 CONCORD, N.C. (AP) – Kevin Harvick earned an automatic berth into the third round of NASCAR’s championship race by winning Saturday night at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Harvick had the strongest car for most of the race – as he does almost every week, only to have some sort of problem keep him out of Victory Lane. It almost happened again Saturday night as a caution with seven laps to go forced Harvick to win it in a two-lap sprint to the finish. The win was his first since Darlington in April and came on a night Dale Earnhardt Jr. suffered a serious blow ... Read more
- Liberty edges Appalachian State 55-48 in OT October 13, 2014 BOONE, N.C. (AP) – Josh Woodrum threw three touchdowns – including the game-winner – and ran for another as Liberty edged Appalachian State 55-48 in overtime Saturday. Woodrum finished with 356 yards passing, throwing the winning touchdown to Darrin Peterson in overtime. D.J. Abnar ran for 129 yards and two touchdowns for the Flames (4-3). Woodrum and Abnar combined for three early touchdowns and Kenny Scott scored on a fumble return to give Liberty a 28-24 halftime lead. In the third quarter, John Lunsford’s two field goals and Abnar’s second rushing TD run kept the Flames ahead, 41-40. But the Mountaineers’ Terrance Upshaw ran ... Read more
- Michigan High School Cancels Football Season Because of Injuries October 10, 2014 The varsity football season for Michigan’s Caro High School is over. The team — players, coaches and administrators — recently voted to end the program’s season after losing players to injuries, including concussions. The fear was that younger players, now forced to step up, would be put in harm’s way, according to the team. The Tigers had started the season with 25 players, according to the Tuscola County Advertiser, but because of injuries, had to promote eight sophomores from the junior varsity team to reach 22 on the varsity team. “It has come to a point in our Varsity Football program where the school ... Read more
- ‘Capital Games’: Behind Congress’ ‘Attack’ on NFL Tax Breaks October 2, 2014 A raft of damaging headlines have sparked new efforts on Capitol Hill to hit the NFL where it hurts: in the pocketbook. New bills were introduced in recent weeks to strip the National Football League of its not-for-profit status, which it holds despite the billions in revenue it helps deliver for teams, and the $44 million annual compensation package enjoyed by the league’s commissioner, Roger Goodell. In the latest episode of the ESPN/ABC podcast “Capital Games,” Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton – cosponsor of the House bill that would end that tax break – said the push is yet another way she hopes ... Read more
- Logano wins at New Hampshire in 2nd Chase race September 22, 2014 LOUDON, N.H. (AP) – Joey Logano pulled away on the restart to win a green-white-checkered finish Sunday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway and advance to the second round of the Chase for the Sprint Cup Championship. Logano and Team Penske teammate Brad Keselowski have both advanced to the next round. Four drivers will be eliminated drivers after every third race, and a win guarantees a driver an automatic berth into the next round. The first cutoff race is next week at Dover International Speedway. Logano raced to his fourth victory of the season, leading 73 laps and surviving a NASCAR season-high 15 ... Read more
- Seahawks hold off Broncos 26-20 in overtime September 22, 2014 SEATTLE (AP) – Marshawn Lynch scored on a 6-yard TD run on the first possession of overtime and the Seattle Seahawks beat the Denver Broncos 26-20 on Sunday in a Super Bowl rematch that lived up to expectations. Seattle (2-1) blew a 17-3 fourth-quarter lead, watching Denver tie the game at 20 on Peyton Manning’s 26-yard touchdown pass to Jacob Tamme with 18 seconds left in regulation and his 2-point conversion pass to Demaryius Thomas. But Manning never saw the ball in overtime thanks to Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson. After nearly getting sacked for a safety and throwing an interception in the ... Read more
- Brawl breaks out after hit on Eagles QB Foles September 22, 2014 PHILADELPHIA (AP) – A brawl broke out on the Redskins’ sideline with 9:55 remaining in the fourth quarter Sunday after Washington’s Chris Baker laid out Philadelphia quarterback Nick Foles on an apparent interception and was ejected. While Bashaud Breeland was returning the pick that later was overturned on video review, Baker blindsided Foles, putting his shoulder into the quarterback’s chest. Foles was down on the ground for a few minutes as players from both teams pushed and shoved each other. Defensive lineman Baker was ejected, as was Philadelphia left tackle Jason Peters for his role in the melee on the sideline. Foles finally ... Read more
- Luck throws 4 TDs, Colts rout Jaguars 44-17 September 22, 2014 JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) – Andrew Luck threw four touchdown passes – three of them in a lopsided first half – and the Indianapolis Colts dominated the Jacksonville Jaguars 44-17 on Sunday for their first win of the season. It was a home opener to forget for the Jaguars (0-3), who trailed 30-0 at the break and benched quarterback Chad Henne. The only positive for Jacksonville was getting rookie Blake Bortles on the field. The third overall pick in May’s NFL draft played the entire second half, finishing with two touchdown passes and two interceptions. He completed 14 of 24 passes for 223 ... Read more